Please fill out the Absence/Tardiness Form to let the staff know as soon as possible if your child is not able to attend a Resident Choir rehearsal.
Cincinnati Youth Choir is an award winning, nationally and internationally respected choral organization. It provides a unique experience to all singers and requires a high level of commitment and responsibility. Each child is independently important to the success of the program. Just as with any other team effort, the success of the choir is reliant on the consistent attendance of all of its members.
Please consult school calendars, sports calendars, and family calendars early in the year to identify possible conflicts. We strongly encourage that each of our singers be members and leaders of their school choruses. The only exceptions are when the school music program requires that students choose between instrumental ensembles and chorus or when the child’s advanced education schedules do not allow time for participation therefore leaving CYC as the only alternative for choral study.
CYC members are expected to treat school performances as a priority over a CYC performance unless otherwise negotiated between a CYC conductor and the school director. School performances are identified as performances for which a grade in school will be given (orchestra, band, choir concert); not an extracurricular activity (school plays, musicals etc.).
Mandatory Rehearsals and Performances
All rehearsals and performances are mandatory unless otherwise indicated on the choir calendar.
An absence for any reason from a final rehearsal (“dress rehearsal”) may result in the singer being excluded from the following concert and is up to the discretion of the conductor.
Attendance Requirements and Notification Procedures
- Excused Absence from Rehearsals and Performances: A choir member may be considered excused for:
- Death in the family
- Conflict with a mandatory school performance/commitment
- Absences that occur for any reason other than those stated as excused will be considered on an individual basis by the child’s choir director. Homework is not considered a valid excuse for a performance. Singers should plan ahead. Any absences determined unexcused may result in dismissal from the program. Tuition will not be refunded.
- Notification of planned absences must be sent in as early as possible and no less than 30 days prior so that the artistic staff can plan accordingly.
- All written absence notification regarding performance conflicts will be reviewed by the staff on an individual basis and determined “excused” or “unexcused” based on the degree the absence would compromise the choir and its performance and/or the conflict expressed.
- If written notification is NOT submitted prior to a performance, the absence will be considered unexcused, no matter the reason (excluding a sudden death or illness).
- Habitual tardiness will be regarded as lack of commitment and may result in dismissal from the program, and will affect advancement in the program.