Cincinnati Youth Choir
The Cincinnati Youth Choir Composition Competition is a contest promoting outstanding repertoire for treble choirs from children’s through youth ensembles. CYC serves as Ensemble-in-Residence at the University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music and regularly performs with the regions most celebrated professional and amateur ensembles. Submissions will be reviewed by a panel of judges consisting of CCM faculty and CYC artistic staff. The winning entry will be contacted and announced in Spring 2019.
The cash prize for the winning composition will be $1,000.00. The Cincinnati Youth Choir, under the direction of conductor and artistic director Robyn Lana, will premiere the work in March 2019 with the winning composer’s possible attendance at the premiere. Publication possible and may be discussed. The panel reserves the right to void selection if no winning selection is submitted.
- Suggested length: 3 to 6 minutes
- Voicing: treble voices, unison to multiple parts
- Difficulty level: beginner, intermediate or advanced
- Accompaniment instrumentation: a capella or piano accompaniment, opt 30 sec. solo voice, opt solo or duet obligato instruments (ie: violin, cello, flute, recorder, clarinet)
- Lyrics and arrangements must be available for use and not protected by copyright laws or permission must be secured and demonstrated by the composer
- Composer will retain the copyright
- CYC may retain winning manuscript for future performance
- Composition must be composed/arranged within the past three years and never performed
- The composer must be an emerging composer.
- The composer must presently reside in North America.
- $25 application fee per composition
Completed submission must include:
- One rehearsal ready copy which will include all necessary markings and composer sited.
- 5 unsigned, clearly legible copies with no identifying marks to insure anonymity during the selection process.
- Complete biography of the composer.
- $25 registration fee payable to Cincinnati Youth Choir
- One completed application form (page 2 of this document) or by writing to:
Robyn Lana, Artistic Director
Cincinnati Youth Choir
UC- College-Conservatory of Music
University of Cincinnati
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0236
- Contest deadline is December 31, 2018. All materials must arrive on or before the posted deadline.
|2017||Alexis Gabbard||Still I Rise|
|2014||Kevin Padworski||Vidi Aquam|
|2011||Ryan Brechmacher||Lobster Quadrille|
|2011 Runner Up||Tara Traxler||The Crossing|
|2009||Melissa Bergstrom||Come My Way, My Truth, My Light|
|2008||James Kantor||Beati in Domo Domini|