ChoralQuest is a fun 8-week after-school program offering comprehensive music literacy and choral education to third-sixth grade students once per week during an hour-long rehearsal.
CYC will be hosting Fall ChoralQuest programs at the following schools (Only singers from selected host schools are eligible to register for this program):
School registration ends January 24th
Locations: 3-4 different schools will be selected to host each term
Terms: 8-week session; with a one-hour weekly rehearsal directly after dismissal
Running October-December 2019 & March-May 2020
Participants: A minimum of 18 singers from your school from grades 3-8
Cost: $50 per singer/session
School’s responsibilities: Recruit singers and provide rehearsal space (free of charge) with a piano
- Dedicated and HIGHLY QUALIFIED instructors, who will partner with the school music teacher and CYC team.
- Instruction that supports music curriculum such as; theory, history, sight singing, healthy singing habits through choral repertoire, specialized warm-ups, & engaging music activities.
- Learning that builds leaders and supports the school music program.
- A safe and encouraging environment where we nurture self-esteem and creativity within each singer.
- A sense of inclusion in a growing choral community, seen when our four ChoralQuest schools combine to participate as one in a concert with the award-winning ensembles of the Cincinnati Youth Choir at UC’s College-Conservatory of Music.
Sandra Thornton is the Assistant Artistic Director of the Cincinnati Youth Choir. She also serves as the Artistic Director of ChoralQuest and Educational Director for CYC. Thornton conducts the Vivace and Allegro choirs and teaches Vocal Pedagogy during the annual CYC Children’s Choir Summer Festival.
Thornton also serves as the Director of Traditional Music at Epiphany United Methodist Church in Loveland, Ohio. Additionally, she is a professional singer with the Cincinnati Vocal Arts Ensemble, under the direction of Craig Hella Johnson. CLICK HERE to read full bio.
Fall session: December 14, 2019 – 2pm (3-5 grade ChoralQuest Preludio) & 5pm (6-8 grade ChoralQuest Uniti) concerts
Spring session: May 3, 2020 – 2pm (3-5 grade ChoralQuest Preludio) & 5pm (6-8 grade ChoralQuest Uniti) concerts